Thursday, March 13, 2014

Enslavement and Freedom- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (ch.1-5)

So far in this novel (ch. I-VI), we are introduced to the theme enslavement and freedom. Huck Finn wants to be free of having good behavior, manners and society values. "Then she told me about the bad place, and I said I wished I was there. She got mad, the, but I didn't mean no harm. All I wanted was to go somewheres; all I wanted was a change, I warn't particular."(pg. 3) Huck wants the freedom where it is less boring and more accepting. Implying that he would rather go to hell than stay with Widow Douglas and her sister Miss. Watson. Another part in these few chapters that deals with freedom is in chapter 3 when Huck thinks about his father. "I didn't want to see him no more. He used to always whale me when he was sober and could get his hands on me; though I used to take to the woods most of the time when he was around." (pg. 12) I feel as if Huck is scared and helpless towards his father. He wants to be free of his father's control over him and its as if he wants his father dead instead of alive because he doesn't have to deal with the burden of his father taking him away from Widow Douglas. Another theme in this book is enslavement. We are introduced to this theme in chapter 2 of the novel. The character who suffers from this is Jim, a slave of Miss Watson. I feel bad for Jim because he has no rights or freedom and is look down upon by Huck and Tom because of the fact that he is black. Will Jim be free or will he continue to live the life he suffers the most as a slave?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

3 comments:

  1. I liked how you interpreted this theme a lot. The question you asked at the end is something I have been thinking about a lot too- I really hope that Jim takes more action into his life and tries to be free. I also thought it was great how you connected freedom to his father. He does want to break free from him due to all the control he has upon him. Overall, your blog person made a lot of great references to the novel. Btw I thought your sister had this theme? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chinonso, this is a good start. I know you were absent on the day that we assigned blogs. Your theme is Freedom and Slavery and you are in a group with Vicky, April, Bella, Jeremy, and Gianna. From now on stick to that theme. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really brought to my attention the enslavement that Huck feels and his desire to be free. I don't know if I agree with Huck wanting his dad dead, though. although it would probably put his mind at ease, he is the only true family he has, and if it were me, no matter how brutal my life was with that person, I wouldn't want to see the only blood relative I have dead.

    ReplyDelete