Saturday, March 29, 2014

Friendship and Betrayal- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (ch. 16-22)

Right now in the book, friendship for Huck and Jim is more than just needing each other. Friendship for them changed because they know each other better than before. When Jim told Huck about his plans after he arrives at Cairo, I saw this as a form of trust because Jim, a slave, trust Huck, a white person with his plans. Even though Huck has many chances to turn Jim in, he doesn't. " Pooty soon I'll be a-shout'n' for joy, en I'll say, it's all on accounts o' Huck; I's a free man, en I couldn't ever ben free ef it hadn' ben for Huck; Huck done it. Jim won't ever forgit you, Huck; you's de bes' fren' Jim's ever had; en you's de only fren' ole Jim's got now" (chapter 16). Loyalty is a really important part of friendship which shows in this chapter because Huck is the only person in Jim's life who's kept a promise to him. Jim sees Huck as his best friend knowing he is a white person.
       Another part in these chapters that I want to point out that relates to my theme betrayal is when we are introduced to the two runaways that refer to themselves as a "King" and "Duke". I though that the two men betrayed Jim and Huck because they lied about who they were so that Huck and Jim can serve them and treat them as if they were royal. "It didn't take me long to make up my mind that these liars warn't no kings nor dukes, at all, but just low- down  humbugs and frauds" (chapter 19). Honestly I believe that Huck should have said something and confronted them. I know he had his reasons but the King and Duke treating Jim and him like they had control over them in my understanding of the reading, and that didn't seem right. And since Huck knew they were lying, did Jim know as well? If not, Huck should have let Jim on the truth. Isn't that what friends are for? What more can we aspect from Jim and Huck in their next adventure?

3 comments:

  1. I love how you pointed that out on how Huck is the only person who has ever kept a promise to Jim. He tells Jim that he'll never forget him and because of Huck he now is about to become a free man. His past is catching up to him aka Huck. Another thing that struck me was when he started thinking about why he's really doing this because the widow hasn't done anything to him and etc. How in the world are you a godly women and you have a child believing holding human beings as your property right?

    ReplyDelete