Saturday, April 19, 2014

Friendship and Betrayal-Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (ch.31-43)

Reading chapters 31-43, wasn't interesting to me then the previous chapters I blogged about last. It annoyed me more than usual. We are again having to read about betrayal from the duke and king. This time they outdone themselves. It didn't seem right that they betrayed Jim, by selling him for money. The king more than the duke by being the one selling him. The duke just printed the handbill for it. Still he had a part in it. Another part I considered betrayal in these chapters was sadly on Huck's part due to Tom behalf. Honestly I don't like Tom as a character. He is so immature compared to Huck, who is maturing. But I felt Huck betrayed Jim because he listed and went with Tom's plan, Which was longer imprisonment for Jim, making it unnecessary. Huck knows how much Jim wants to be free so he could be with his family. Why couldn't he stand up to Tom to began with?
     Friendship has blossomed into a beautiful thing with Huck and Jim in this novel. Especially in the end. "And got to thinking over our trip down the river; and I see Jim before me, all the time, in the day, and in the nigh-time, sometimes moonlight, sometimes storms, and we a floating along, talking, and singing, and laughing." (chapter 31). I am really proud of Huck for not sending the letter to Tom. He realizes his friendship with Jim is more important and would rather go to hell because of that. Saving Jim was the high point of their friendship. He wants Jim to be free like he is. To conclude my last post on Huckleberry Finn, the two themes I had to write about both balanced each other out. Without betrayal their wouldn't really be friendship. Thank you.

Huck and Jim till the end!






No comments:

Post a Comment